Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Things are not always what they seem...

The day starts early. Technically it's an hour lie in from the normal 6am but still damn early. Grogginess reigns supreme, with Mike dropping a glass full of water onto the floor, smashing glass across kitchen. KT was not pleased, hopefully the last breakage of the trip ( though probably not, I am here too); Didi, being used to all night work-a-thons, stubbles into the kitchen, eyes glazed and vague smile flutters across her face at my "good morning" before slumping off to get coffee. Mike made poached eggs for breakfast after my ant-cereal crunch; very good, thank you Mike!

This is typical and is soon becoming the norm on Andros, contrary to popular belief.  For the last few days, facebook has been covered with photos of the BAP team having fun in the sun and for it I have been getting a lot of stick from friends and family members saying "Your're on holiday" etc. This is typical image that creates this sort of chat:

The Bahamas as everyone back home know it, Nicholls Town Beach.
However this is not representative of the fieldwork so far. Don't get me wrong here, times like the ones pictured here were amazing and are images and experiences I will remember for the rest of my life but (and it's a big Bahamian but) this shows less than a tenth of our time spent here, where the pictures are a little different, mainly picturing Geology in my case:
My project= Dissolution Features in Trenches, this one is huge and got me and KT all excited
For photos of Geochemistry in the field, look to Didi's posts which show tedious science happening right before your eyes!

(By the way for anyone coming to Andros in the next few weeks we have hand signals for sarcastic and patronising, to define when we are being sincere or joking around; all explained later when we decide what the system is!)

As I type, KT is turning the living room from a lab to a "working laboratory" which consists of clearing all the crap and general debris that has been dumped by us youngsters over the last few days.

Mike's ant hunting continues with asking me to seal a hole in the wall of the house with silicon sealant. This ant hunting now goes beyond a "pet hate" to aiding the advancement of science as the ants are trying to contaminate the lab! (KT swearing at ants running across a table) Of course the ants are oblivious to the troubles of man's quest to gain a further understanding of the world around them and just want to eat my bloody cereal!!!

More science to come with the arrival of the carbonate juggernaut and my supervisor, Maurice Tucker ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Tucker ) tomorrow!

and F -6 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment