Wednesday, June 13, 2012

George Barker, general handy man and a waffler

KT's anti biotics are strong so she decides the rest of the team should go out in the field ALONE, while she prepared the lab more and sets up things...not sure what but very important things I am sure.

Our mission, should we should to accept (but we didnt have a choice), was to check all the rain collectors for any samples because KT "thought it rained last night". And for me to see more of the well field to assess the trenches potential for further surveys as part of my project.

Nothing out of the ordinary to report, we do what we are told, but I have a short memory so most things have to written down for me and try as I might to write down the directions to the various boreholes, trenches and sampling sites I have little idea of where we are going! Lucky for me Mike was driving and Didi was navigating who seemed to have a better understanding of the warren of dirt tracks that criss-crossed the wellfield. 

After that we lunched on pasta and sauce KT cooked us because we took a little longer than planned, which was very nice and after a 30min siesta. My odd job odyssey began.

After doing general lifting for the ladies of the house I was tasked with opening a screw on a hand pump. Completely impossible to open, no chance. So equipped with a list of things to buy plus the WD40 that was needed I started errands, along the way finding a new hardware store. When I got back ( and opened the pump) I was sent a second time to buy more things for the project, most important being the AA batteries for all the probes etc, which are terrible in the Bahamas for some reason. Lastly came washing sheets of plastic with super clean deionised water with Mike. Cleaning the sheets is all very well and good but surely if anyone touches the sheets, even the corners to hold it, wont this affect the chemistry of the rainwater collected? I am sure Fiona will tell all in a comment below!   ;) 

After all this me and KT went back the wellfield to speed survey some trenches. Most had a poor potential for my project; but the excursion was not a complete loss: KT discovered one of the pumps has been reactivated, contradictory to what I have been told for the last few months plus we found some trenches with an incredibly thin vadose zone; which made KT very excited for Mike's project...for some reason.

Finally KT persuaded me to drive down the Red Bay road to watch the sunset. Big Andros Skies!
Very beautiful sunset got my photographer in me going:
In the woods on the Red Bay Road

Broke out of the trees into the swamp plain outside Red Bay settlement

Called Skyscapes in the photography world?




No comments:

Post a Comment