Friday, June 1, 2012

To the end of another beginning


When I was cramming everything for four final papers in a row last month, I could see KT Cooper running up and about, sometimes like a walking zombie who has barely slept (not that I wasn't one myself at that time, but I have brought procrastination upon myself so I cannot complain).

So after my exams and moving out of my own house - work begun for me.

Dolomite from the Madison Formation and carbonate rocks from Nassau, Bahamas were cored, filed and cut into pill-shapes to be placed in various places on North of Andros to gauge its reactivity.

Coring the block of limestone.
A few courier packages came on the final week - Tipping rain gauges, Mantra2 SONDE, Hydrosleeve, Flowthrough cell . . . . and the list continues.

(My) multi-parameter probe (by Hach) also got in just in time for it to be tested and used in the Bahamian island *jumps for joy*. Though I wonder if it would be a good analogue for the hypersaline brine of Qatarian sabkha waters? I'm thinking about precipitates sticking on the probe and corrosion.

My new baby :)
Got taught by Katie as to how to calibrate my new multi-parameter probe meter.
I digress.

What I remember doing was calling up Bahamian port for their maliboat logistics and visa stuff. I was washing wire mesh and other things with Milli-Q water, dessicating pills in oven up to few 100s of degrees and the list goes on.

Washing bottles.
I was in the Geography lab most of the time, but I remember Mike weighing filter papers, George was weighing pills. Fiona did the alkalinity standards. I KT was doing . . . err . . . everything in everywhere?


Titration, oh titration...

Question. How would you pack for a 7-week fieldwork when you're hindered by fears of excessive charges on excess baggage?

Ask Fiona Whitaker. A potential three boxes worth of things CAN actually be packed to one. Unfortunately i do not have a photo of someone's (under)garments being stuffed into chemical flasks/bottles.

Yes, it definitely comes with experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment