Wednesday, July 4, 2012

P-Dubz!

[P-dubz : Poison Wood, redefined the BAPS way]

My pet project: To develop immunity against P-dubz
Status: Fail

"Wear trousers!"

"Avoid p-dubz!"

"Don't step on p-dubz!"

"Don't drive into p-dubz!"

And after a while, KT's voice seemed like a dead frequency my hearing didn't want register anymore when the P word is mentioned because I (thought I) was fine the first three weeks. (I love you KT)

Apparently being in contact with the leaves (the stinging thingamajid is mainly the sap from the bark) is enough to develop red or blobby-looking rash which leads to severe itching, burning and deformation!

Initially, I was cautious in the field, although I was in between being vigilant and being adamant about wanting to develop resistance against its sap and leaves (yes, I am crazy like that)

By the third week I decided to care less about the presence of poison wood in paths because I didn't want to compromise getting heatstroke to a reaction i thought I have built immunity against.

Still, no reaction….

Le ENEMY...


Until one night, I was awaken at 4am from my very first allergic reaction. It was horrible I have to admit, having to crawl out of bed to find anti-histamine and cream in the nearest first aid.

And the whole of last week is just me occasionally staring at my very unpleasant p-dubz' rashes - trying my very best not to scratch it WHILE watching it infecting to my thighs and arms which has never seen the light of p-dubz! -_-

WARNING: Even though the gory details have been left out, the pictures below are downsized for the ease of readers and may not be suitable for viewing when you're having meals :P



Pre-gore                                                                                                            The healing process


The indirect contact


Direct contact with the sap


KT made me go to the nearest health centre because for the years she's been here she has never seen so many p-dubz on any one person. As a result, I was given a lot of meds, stronger cortisone cream and stronger anti-histamine =\

And there goes my 'Ninja' status :(

Few days back, while I was applying cream on my p-dubz, KT came up to me with a smug and snidely asked, "Can I please say it?"

"Go ahead," with a defeated look on my (thankfully) p-dubless face.

"I TOLD YOU SO! HAHA" and she walks off.


Also, being the accident-prone I always have been, I got myself a jellyfish sting and of course, bramble scratches which Mike, George and I all have (George calls it the BAPs tattoo - a sign to show how hardcore we are on the field).


Lesson: 
Wear trousers.
Don't go swimming in the sea during high tides.
And watch out for loose rocks (even underwater!)


Evil bramble ramble

Jelly sting! :D


Fell into a hole when the limestone beneath me broke underwater, at the Helios/Heliothermic blue hole!


And had managed to scrape through both my skin and rash scraped in one area. 


2 comments:

  1. D, u r one tough girl! im so proud of you but worried at the same time! it's like u went to war! take care of those sexy legs a bit more ;) hehe miss u tons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey v! Don't worry it's not as bad as it seems! Really :) The legs are healing well with the meds, i'll see you when i get home.

      Delete